COVID-19 Courses & Training
The courses below will help you better understand COVID-19 guidelines and how to manage COVID-19 diagnostics and treatment.
ATTENTION! - To attend the classes below or track your completed courses, please login or register to the ASLM Academy.
SARS-CoV-2 ANTIGEN RAPID DIAGNOSTIC TEST TRAINING
View the latest training materials on ASLM's COVID-19 Antigen testing. This course was developed with funding from Unitaid and in partnership with the Clinton Health Access Initiative, Amref Health Africa, Last Mile Health and Africa Field Epidemiology Network under the stewardship of the Africa CDC.
ASLM’s COVID-19 ECHO Sessions
View the latest of ASLM’S COVID-19 ECHO SESSIONS
Troubleshooting Common Challenges Associated with SARS-CoV-2 Diagnostic Test Establishment
Latest Update On Available Technology to Detect COVID-19
The Korean Experience for the African Continent
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostic Tests: BD and Cepheid
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostic Tests: QIAGEN & Thermo Fisher Scientific
Serology Tests and Their Role in the Pandemic Response
Implementing Fast Turn-Around Laboratory Testing for Control of COVID-19
Manufacturers of Molecular Diagnostics Tests Pt3: Abbott and Bio-Rad
Diagnostics in the COVID-19 Pandemic Response
Best Practices Implementing a Structured Quality Assured Testing Program
Procurement and Supply Chain for COVID-19 Diagnostics
Facial Masks During COVID-19: Homemaking, Disinfection and Imaging
May 2020 Waste Management Training
COVID-19 Biosafety Guidance for Laboratories Confirmation
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostics Tests: Abbott Serology in the Core Lab and Analytics
Specimen Referral Systems for SARS-CoV-2 Testing
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostics Tests: KH Medical Co., Ltd., South Korea & Inqaba Biotec
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostics Tests: PerkinElmer & Pro-Med Diagnostics, South Africa
June 2020 LabCoP ECHO Session
Key Considerations for Differentiated Service Delivery in the Context of the Global COVID-19 Pandemic
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostics Tests: EUROIMMUN AG, Germany and Hologic, USA
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Molecular Diagnostics Tests: Roche Diagnostics International Ltd.
Public Health Lab Networks and SARS-CoV-2 Testing: Challenges, Strategies, and Lessons from the USA
July 2020 LabCoP ECHO Session
No Time to Wait! Demand Creation for Early Infant Diagnosis of HIV
Laboratory Data Management Considerations for COVID-19 Response
Optimised Diagnostic Networks Key to Responding to COVID-19: Doing More with Less
August 2020 LabCoP ECHO Session
EQA Proficiency Testing Coverage, Results and Sustainability from the Perspective of a Service Provider
Special LabCoP ECHO Session
Establishing Diagnostic Connectivity for Laboratory Network Data Flow Across Conventional & POC Systems
Self-Collection of Nasal Specimens: Lowering the Barrier to SARS-CoV-2 Testing and Access to Care
COVID-19 Antigen Testing’s Role in the Helping Control the Pandemic
September 2020 LabCoP ECHO Session
Using Strategic Communications as a Tool for Social Change and Advocacy
COVID-19 Testing Project – Independent Evaluation Results: What Do We Know About Performance?
Considerations of Pooling Specimens for COVID-19 Testing by Real-Time RT-PCR
Unpacking the Global Launch of COVID-19 Ag-RDT Testing
Digital solutions supporting healthcare providers and stakeholders in their COVID-19 response
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Rapid Diagnostics Tests: Abbott Panbio SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Rapid Diagnostics Tests: STANDARD Q COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test
Funding & Procurement Mechanisms for SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Tests
October 2020 LabCoP ECHO session
Operationalising the M&E Sub-community of Practice: Improving M&E for HIV/TB and Emerging Challenges
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Rapid Diagnostics Tests: LumiraDx SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Assay
Launch of SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test Training Package
1st LabCoP Extended Echo Session
Launch of the Score-TB Package
January 2021 LabCoP ECHO Session
PEPFAR Country Operational Plan (COP) 2021: laboratory systems strengthenin
Testing Strategy for COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Diagnostic Tests
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Rapid Diagnostics Tests: BD (USA) and DiaSorin (Italy)
Expanding COVID-19 testing to reopen economies: A panel discussion
February 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Roche & CDC Partnership: Developing Capacity and Improving Efficiencies in Laboratory Operations
Genomic Surveillance of SARS-CoV-2 in South Africa: Implications on Transmission and Vaccine Efficacy
African Experience on Expanding COVID-19 Testing Using SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Diagnostic Tests
Impact of Novel Variants on COVID-19 Diagnostics
March 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Leveraging Laboratory Information Management Systems in the COVID-19 Pandemic:
Outcomes, Successes and Lessons from Implementing Emergency SARS-CoV-2 EQA Proficiency Testing in Africa
March 2021 LabCoP ECHO Session
New WHO Recommendations for Clinical and Service Delivery of HIV Prevention, Treatment and Care
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Diagnostic Products: Thermo Fisher solutions for new SARS-CoV-2 variants
Africa CDC Trusted Travel Platform: Creating a Trusted Network of Covid-19 Testing Laboratories
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Diagnostic Products: Abbott Rapid Diagnostics and Beckman Coulter Inc.
Tuberculosis and the COVID-19 Pandemic: Tackling the challenge
May 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Global Fund COVID-19 Response Mechanism: SARS-CoV-2 Diagnostics Laboratory Systems Strengthening
Country Experiences with the Use of Digital Tools for COVID-19
June 2021 LabCoP ECHO Session
GENERATIN GDEMAND FOR HIV VIRAL LOAD TESTING THROUGH TARGETED COMMUNICATIONS CAMPAIGNS
June 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
IMPLEMENTATION OF THE LATERAL-FLOW URINE LIPOARABINOMANNAN (LF-LAM) ASSAY
Leveraging on Existing HIV Community Engagement to Respond to COVID-19 Challenges and Opportunities:
July 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Innovating for Tuberculosis Diagnostics: MTB/XDR Assays and Considerations for Implementation
July 2021 LabCoP ECHO Session
Unlocking the Potential of Tiered Laboratory Networks Through Laboratory Mapping
Aug 2021 LabCoP ECHO Session
HIV VL Monitoring Among Patients on ART: Eight Sub-Saharan African Countries, 2013–2018
August 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Testing Technologies: Hologic Aptima® HPV Assay
Introducing COVIOS: a new, low-cost, high-quality COVID-19 antigen rapid diagnostic test
Launch of COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Diagnostic Training e-Learning Platform
The Evolving Role of Diagnostics in the COVID-19 Pandemic Response
Manufacturers of COVID-19 Diagnostic Products: Siemens Healthineers & Thermo Fisher Scientific
Oct 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Screening for Latent Tuberculosis Infection in Resource-limited Settings
Oct 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
German Epidemic Preparedness Team Laboratory Strengthening for External Quality Assessment. Experiences
Nov 2021 LabCoP Extended ECHO Session
Evaluating a Country Program: a Viral Load Example
Dec 2021 Special ECHO Session
The Diagnostic Evidence Hub: Its Role in Accelerating Uptake of Diagnostic Innovations
COVID-19 Diagnostics Training MOOC
Learn about the latest recommendations on COVID-19 diagnostics and testing from Future Learn
SARS-CoV-2 ANTIGEN RAPID DIAGNOSTIC TEST TRAINING
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the SARS-COV-2 antigen rapid diagnostic test training package?
- The training package is a set of training materials and supporting resources developed and made by ASLM in collaboration with partners to provide guidance and information on the use of antigen rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) for the diagnosis of COVID-19.
- The SARS-COV-2 Ag RDTs referenced in the training include both lateral flow and device-based tests.
- The overall goal of these training materials is to support the scale-up of SARS-COV-2 testing in member states by creating an accessible, adaptable and thorough training package.
Who is the target audience for the SARS-COV-2 antigen rapid diagnostic test training package?
- The ultimate audience for the training is frontline healthcare workers and other end-user service providers engaged in COVID-19 testing.
- Materials are packaged as a “Training of Trainers (ToT) set” that should be used to deliver training to Trainers and End Users. However, anyone can access the materials and use the modules to review information for the use of antigen rapid diagnostic testing.
- In addition, governments entities (e.g., Ministries of Health, National COVID-19 Task Forces) of members states, funding agencies, and development partners may use the overview and training materials to plan for training in the context of scale-up.
What is the duration of this SARS-COV-2 antigen rapid diagnostic test training?
- The suggested length of training is two to three days.
- ToT training is recommended to be three days consisting of 2 days of didactic/theory training; ½ day dedicated for practical sessions; and ½ day dedicated for teach-backs.
- End-user training is recommended to be at least two days with 1.5 days dedicated to didactic/theory training and ½ day dedicated for practical sessions.
- Example training agendas are located in Module 00 for ToTs and the training agenda in Module 01 for end-user training.
- The duration can be adjusted and modified accordingly depending on the in-country local needs but should not exceed five days. The stakeholder managing and/or coordinating the training may appropriately modify and adapt the agendas to suit the local context and needs while ensuring adequate time remains allocated to each module
How does one access the SARS-COV-2 Antigen rapid diagnostic test training package?
- You are required to register and login to download the materials.
- The full training package meant for ToTs, but can also be accessed by all is available on the ASLM Academy website accessible at: https://aslm.org/courses/covid-19-antigen-training-materials/ .
- A training overview intended for Ministries of Health and other policy-making audiences is available for all.
- Assessments and certification forms are limited to trainers and can be accessed using an authentication code that will be made available via your country laboratory leadership. For more information and requests for accessing the assessments please email Silver Mashate at Smashate@aslm.org.
As a trainer, do I only need the presentations, or do I also need the supporting materials?
- Supporting materials for each module are an integral part of the training. Supporting materials include agendas, reference documents for training participants, activity handouts, and supplemental information.
- Trainers should review both the presentations and supporting materials prior to training.
- Trainers are encouraged to also make the resources from the supporting materials available and accessible to their participants/trainees
Should ToT training incorporate practice for teaching modules?
- Module 00: ToT Intro and Good Facilitation is dedicated to good facilitation skills for adult learning. Participants of ToTs should note these skills and utilize them during teach-backs
- Teach-backs or sessions where trainers can practice facilitation of the training modules are recommended to be incorporated into the ToT training agenda.
- Teach-backs can be structured in small groups where participants will present a pre-assigned training module to their group during the ToT.
- A rubric for teach-backs is located in Module 00 Supporting Materials. This rubric allows for group members or facilitators to provide feedback to the participant conducting the teach-back for the module.
Does the training package cover COVID-19 safety guidelines?
- Safety guidelines for antigen testing are located in Module 04: Safety & IPC for Antigen Testing.
- This module focuses on safety precautions and PPE surrounding the administration of antigen rapid diagnostic testing. This is meant for healthcare workers and other staff familiar with all safety and infection control procedures surrounding COVID-19.
- For individuals needing general safety information for COVID-19, additional information can be found in Module 04 Supporting Materials in the presentation titled Module 04B: General Safety and IPC.
May participants receive certificates after completing this SARS-COV-2 antigen rapid diagnostic test training?
- To receive the training certificate, participants must have attended 100% of the didactic/theory training sessions and score at least 80% and 100% in the theory and practical assessments respectively, as evaluated by the Trainer who has conducted the training.
- Trainers should email email@example.com with the completed certificate registration form which is located in the downloadable training package. Participants will be verified and sent ASLM certificates to their email.