The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African professional body working to advocate for the critical role and needs of laboratory medicine and networks throughout Africa. Africa is rapidly growing but faces major health challenges including epidemics of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria, and new priorities such as Ebola and other global health security threats. Strengthened laboratory capacity and surveillance in Africa are critical to overcoming the burden of disease and ensuring a healthy future for the continent. ASLM addresses these challenges by working collaboratively with governments, local and international organizations, implementing partners, and the private sector.
Duration: 1 year
Reports to: Communications Manager
Summary of the position:
The Communications Officer will be responsible for ASLM’s social media communications and basic graphic design related to a variety of ASLM programs. Under general supervision of the Director of Science and New Initiatives and direct supervision of the Communications Manager, the Communications Officer assists in conceptualization, dissemination and analysis of ASLM’s social media messages and content. The Communications Officer assists in conceptualization and production of basic graphic designs to promote ASLM and its initiatives. It is estimated that the tasks of this position will take a maximum of 50% of a full-time equivalent. The Communication Officer can work from their current location.
- In collaboration with ASLM’s Communications team, staff and partners, manages ASLM social media:
- Posts new content on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Coordinates YouTube video content and manages playlists, descriptions and tags
- Shares relevant content posted by partners and reputable global health organisations
- Engages with followers and cultivates new followers
- Executes social media campaigns as instructed
- Tracks social media analytics and trends
- In collaboration with ASLM’s Communications team, staff, and partners, designs basic graphics:
- ECHO session fliers
- Logo mock ups
- Social media images
- Website images
- Designs the LabCoP Newsletter layout
- Presentation images
- Reports to ASLM Communications manager regarding analytics and engagement
- Contributes to SOPs of Best Practices related to social media and graphic production based on evidence, statistics and data
- Archives all visual media elements and designs in ASLM’s library
Qualifications and Required Skills:
- A Bachelor degree in Marketing, Communications or Media, and minimum of 2 years of work experience in Social Media Management required; or minimum of 5 years of work experience in Social Media Management required.
- Basic working knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite required (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Fluency in English (speaking and writing) is required. French is a plus.
- Comprehension of emerging technologies, industry trends, and social media platforms and apply them to operations and activities
- Creativity with language and visual media
- Passion for contributing to the betterment of the lives of Africans of all nationalities
- Strong understanding of African markets and communications trends
- Strong ability to think and work independently while handling multiple projects and priorities. At the same time, ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
How to apply:
- The application website closes on 22nd January 2021 at 5:30 PM Addis Ababa time and any application sent after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Interested applicants should apply online on ASLM website.
- If you can’t access the link, you can send your resume and application letter to Email.
This position is a contract position and subject to available funding. ASLM may terminate employment at any time due to funding, or for any other lawful reason.
|Job Category||ASLM Current Vacancies|