Business Development Manager
The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is a pan-African professional body working to advocate for the critical role and needs of laboratory medicine and networks throughout Africa. Africa is rapidly growing but faces major health challenges including epidemics of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria, and new priorities such as Ebola and other global health security threats. Strengthened laboratory capacity and surveillance in Africa are critical to overcoming the burden of disease and ensuring a healthy future for the continent. ASLM addresses these challenges by working collaboratively with governments, local and international organizations, implementing partners, and the private sector.
Duty station: TBD
Nature of the position: Consultant
Reports to: Director of Sciences and New Initiatives & Director of Programs
Duration: 1-year renewable based on funds availability
Summary of the position:
The Business Development Manager will report into the Director of Science and New Initiatives and work closely with the Director of Programs at ASLM to execute a fundraising strategy that enables ASLM to reach its ambitious goals for growth. Key responsibilities will include:
- Under the guidance of the Director of New Initiatives, support the development of a fundraising strategy, including goals and targets
- Monitor funding trends and grant opportunities, and conduct pipeline forecasting and donor surveillance to track the release of procurements.
- Analyze funding announcements for potential fit with ASLM’s priorities and recommend specific funding opportunities to pursue
- Support the development of a strong prospect and pipeline of priority donors, keeping abreast of the latest developments within the donor and partner landscape.
- Support scoping and intelligence gathering efforts to ensure we are well positioned and has secured the right partnerships for priority bids in the pipeline.
- Facilitate strategic decision making on donor funding and partnership opportunities to pursue including outlining SOWs in teaming agreements with partners
- Drive proposal development, fully owning and coordinating the process— from creating buy-in around responsibilities and timelines, motivating and organizing people, guiding players through every step in the proposal process, gathering inputs from technical leads, working with finance teams on budget development, creating supplementary materials, to rolling up your sleeves to write proposals and submit them.
- Play a key role in facilitating inclusive and collaborative program design and strategy sessions for proposals that effectively bring together technical, operations, finance and leadership teams.
- Steward key donor relationships, managing donor visits and reporting where needed.
- Hone systems, by documenting and implementing business processes, procedures, and templates to improve the workflow for business development, and supporting the roll out of CRM tool such as Salesforce.
- Get senior leadership excited about being part of the fundraising process, providing them regular updates on our donor and partner priorities, delivering trainings to build capacity and awareness around donor interactions, and supporting them to always be eyes and ears for business development.
- Increase mindshare with key stakeholders by supporting leadership and the ASLM Board to prepare to present at strategic speaking opportunities, donor events, and conferences to increase visibility and expand networks.
Qualifications and required skills:
- Experience in international development or global health preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communicator.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in building collaborative relationships with both external and internal stakeholders.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Experience with fundraising is strongly preferred.
- Experience with business development, proposal management and relationship management will be a bonus.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field.
- Deep passion for making the world a better place.
- An exceptional writer, and can put pen to paper to produce clear, succinct, outputs quickly and often under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to balance big picture, strategic thinking and design with getting down to tangible activities that can be operationalized.
- Excel at tactical productivity. You get things done.
- Organized and pay close attention to detail.
- Have a people-orientation and are a natural connector. Engaging partners, and donors, and inspiring them to support your work.
- Good communicator. Effectively and tell our story to market our offerings in a compelling way.
- Team-builder. Collaborating with various teams across the organization, and have the ability to get broad buy-in for your work.
- Thrive in small, fast growing organizations and work well on small, fast growing teams.
How to apply:
- The application website closes on 31st January 2022 at 5:30 PM Addis Ababa time and any application sent after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Interested applicants should apply online on ASLM website.
- If you can’t access the link, you can send your resume and application letter to Email.
|Job Category||ASLM Current Vacancies|